Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#153280 - 04/04/2003 16:23 May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
In the local paper today they had This story about a new "top loading" clothes dryer to be released at an "international kitchen and bathroom show" in Florida this week by Fisher & Paykel [ - the guys who make the "dishdrawer" the dishwasher which uses drawers and which comes in one or two "halves"].

Exactly where this thing fits in your kitchen or bathroom is anyones guess.

Not sure of the benefits of a top loading dryer, but it sounds like they have solved a lot of technical challenges to create such a thing - which from an engineering point of view are probably more interesting I think, than the product itself.

Personally I'll stick with the front loading dryer and be done with it, but if you need to dry 8kgs of washing in 1 hour maybe its of interest.

Click Here for the PDF press release.

#153281 - 04/04/2003 16:37 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer [Re: number6]
mail2mm
journeyman

Loc: Wyoming and New Zealand
Those clever Kiwis!!

#153282 - 04/04/2003 17:40 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer [Re: number6]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
I don't get it.
I thought 'front loading' was all the rage.
why would you want/need a top loader?
just wondering.

#153283 - 04/04/2003 19:56 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer [Re: lastdan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Front-loading (read ``all current'') dryers can be a real pain in a cramped area.

#153284 - 04/04/2003 21:01 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer [Re: wfaulk]
qbasic309

>Fisher & Paykel

They make good stuff! I never seen the top loading dryer but I think a front loading washer + dryer is the bizness.

#153285 - 04/04/2003 21:21 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: number6]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

As a Brit, what I can't understand in the US is the continued exclusive use of separate washers and dryers. Europe has shifted to a combined unit - I can't remember the last time I saw separates in the UK (outside of a laundromat that is).

It doesn't make any sense. I'd much rather have 2 combined units so that I could do 2 loads of washing in parallel, without having to shift loads around halfway through. I could stick my whites and lights in one, my dark colors in the other, start them both, and go out for the day knowing that both would be dry and ready to put away when I came home. Instead I have to wait around an hour for the first load to complete it's wash cycle before going out, and I know that when I come home, the second load will still be wet. What an unneccesary PITA.

#153286 - 04/04/2003 21:22 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer [Re: number6]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Glad to see a quality product being made in versions suitable for multiple markets. The US and Canada get the short end of the stick when it comes to a lot of the cooler "tech" appliances.

I was just on Samsung's international page a few days ago and saw a single-unit washer/dryer. Funky.

Now if only I could get my hands on a Dyson DC-08 with a 110 volt motor. Dyson US say they have no plans for anything but uprights. Too bad. Personally, I don't think they've done their homework with respect to that choice.

And on a bright note, I'll be out house-hunting tomorrow. Going to check out 5 recent listings. So I may soon have a place to actually use larger appliances of my own. (And I'll finally be able to get my larger power tools back from my Dad's house )

Bruno

#153287 - 04/04/2003 21:55 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: genixia]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I know my wife likes to tumble dry certain things but clothesline dry other things. Searching through the washer after it's done washing to find the right clothes to pull out is both more prone to error and and no easier than separates.

Of course, that doesn't explain why they don't sell them to bachelors. I can only imagine that it's because it requires a front-load washer, and those are also few and far between in the US. Why that is, I also don't know. Maybe some UL problem?

#153288 - 04/04/2003 22:06 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: wfaulk]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I don't understand how your wife's needs are a factor. Either she separates the stuff for the clothesline before washing (ie individual loads), or before drying. And I can't see how separating stuff before or after a combined washer/dryer is any different than separating it before or after from a single washer.
With a combined unit, you don't *have* to use the dryer functionality. It is still possible to stop after the wash cycle. How is that then different to what she is currently using?

:confused:

#153289 - 04/04/2003 22:12 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: genixia]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't understand how your wife's needs are a factor.
Yeah, well, up yours, too!

Either you have to take it all out and find the right stuff, in which case you've not gained much, or you try to find all the right things to remove without removing the rest, a process which is bound to fail.

In either case, you do gain only needing one unit, but you'd have to have a 220 outlet to power it. In my apartment, the washer and dryer are, annoyingly, not next to each other, so non-trivial plumbing or electrical work would be required (though I do recognize that that's probably unusual).

There might also be code issues that say you can't have a water-dealing contraption be powered by 220 volts. That's just a guess, though.

#153290 - 05/04/2003 00:31 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: lastdan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
I don't get it.
I thought 'front loading' was all the rage.
why would you want/need a top loader?
just wondering.

My lower back cries out: "Top loader! Puleeeze! Top Loader!"

I am completely in alignment with this whole F&P top loader thing. Heck! I may even get to see one at the New Zealand Empeg Meet!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#153291 - 05/04/2003 04:27 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: genixia]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Europe has shifted to a combined unit - I can't remember the last time I saw separates in the UK

Unfortunately the combined units really suck. I haven't heard a good word about them from people who have them - reliability seems to be appalling and they usually have half the drying load capacity than washing capacity. Maybe your experience is better, but I have separates. They're front loading though

Of course I'd prefer to upgrade to the best technology - the "lady who comes in and takes care of that kind of thing". I hear some people have a version that is permanantly installed in their house - heavenly!

Rob

#153292 - 05/04/2003 04:37 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: rob]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Rob:

You sum up my experience with "all in one" units.
They really,really, really suck.

Its a pity they aren't vacuum cleaners as they'd might do a better job.

Can't say much about the "lady who cleans up" concept - I find, that even the live in ladies get snarky about doing all the washing.

I don't know if "top loading dryers" are a useful product or not.
F&P (obviously, from the Press Release) thinks its on a winner and they don't usually make mistakes with their appliance products.

BTW: Bitt, in case you're unclear, the model mentioned in the article will be a 110Volt model.

And it will support either gas or electricity for the heat to dry the clothes so, I guess if its gas powered it won't need much electrical power at all - only enough to run the electronics and spin the drying drum.

The voltage inside the unit is only 50volts DC [or thats what the "motor" uses], as its a direct drive permanent magnet motor.

It has a switch mode PS out of the "waters reach" which takes the mains voltage and drops it 50volts DC.

#153293 - 05/04/2003 04:42 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: rob]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I haven't heard a good word about them from people who have them - reliability seems to be appalling
The Ariston I've got (it was thrown in with the house I bought) seems to be OK, and I think it was several years old when I got it.

and they usually have half the drying load capacity than washing capacity.
That's as maybe. I've a feeling I wash more than the recommended load most of the time anyway -- I've never dialled up enough drying to dry stuff completely, as it's usually either bedding (when it's nice to hang it up to air it anyway) or shirts (which I'd have to iron if I didn't hang them up for the last bit of drying). Mind you, in my little house there's no room for separates (or top-loaders); a combo would be the only option.

Peter

#153294 - 05/04/2003 08:56 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: number6]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
My girlfriend and I got an nice under counter Equator 2-in-1 model when we remodeled our house in Boston.
The previous owner had left us a stacked Sears crap-o special. And because it was in the kitchen we got rid of it right quick.

The under counter model worked out great.
I wouldnt want to use it for a family though. For the two of us it worked fine. She would take out stuff she wanted washed delicately, or line dried and everything else would get tossed in. We'd set the wash cycle and the dry cycle, and go to work.
When we got home the clothes were clean and dry.

The dry cycle took a little longer than a conventional dryer, but I think that was mostly because we opted for the non-venting dryer model. It pumps the humid dryer air over some cold tubing which condenses the moisture and then it pumps it down the drain. Worked like a charm.

Was quite expensive though. about $1100 US in 2001.

Thats it on the left during mid-remodel.

Attachments
151393-DSCN1455(Small).JPG (87 downloads)

#153295 - 05/04/2003 11:09 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: rob]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Of course I'd prefer to upgrade to the best technology - the "lady who comes in and takes care of that kind of thing". I hear some people have a version that is permanantly installed in their house - heavenly

I have one of these at the moment. It's going to suck leaving her behind when I move.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#153296 - 05/04/2003 13:11 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: genixia]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
In reply to:

As a Brit, what I can't understand in the US is the continued exclusive use of separate washers and dryers. Europe has shifted to a combined unit - I can't remember the last time I saw separates in the UK (outside of a laundromat that is).

My Mum and Dad recently upgraded their washing machine and were going to get a combined unit. That was until my Dad came across some rather worrying figures about house fires involving combined washer/dryer units. Apparently it's something to do with lint traps and ventilation or something.

Anyway, they ended up with separate units, washer in the house and dryer in garage. That way if the dryer did catch fire, only my dads workmate, powerdrill and assorted nails and screws would be lost!

I think they also had friends who had a load of washing burnt by their combi unit. I got their old washer for nothing so it was a result for me!

Andy M

#153297 - 05/04/2003 22:02 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: andym]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
now if they could just combine all washing type machines. just put everything in; clothes, rugs, crockery, cultery, pets, kids; and it all pops out clean and dry at the end of the day.

#153298 - 05/04/2003 23:44 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: andym]
kswish0
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
As a Brit, what I can't understand in the US is the continued exclusive use of separate washers and dryers.

You can get your laundry done twice as fast with a separate washer and dryer. While the 1st load is drying, you can have your 2nd load washing. While the 2nd load is drying, you can have the 3rd load washing. I would hate to have a combined unit because it would take forever to do the laundry.

#153299 - 06/04/2003 01:54 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: kswish0]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

But, as he pointed out, if you have a combo unit, you could have two in the same space as your current washer and dryer.

#153300 - 06/04/2003 04:06 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
You then get into 'is it really worth the extra expense' territory...

Andy M

#153301 - 06/04/2003 08:06 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: wfaulk]
kswish0
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
you could have two in the same space as your current washer and dryer.
Who would really get 2 of these though. The whole purpose of them is to save space so I imagine most people only get 1. I would also guess that it would be much more expensive to have 2 combined units than to have a seperate washer and dryer. Is it really that big of a pain to move your clothes from the washer to the dryer? It only takes a few seconds.

#153302 - 06/04/2003 11:16 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: kswish0]
jasonc

In reply to:

Who would really get 2 of these though. The whole purpose of them is to save space so I imagine most people only get 1. I would also guess that it would be much more expensive to have 2 combined units than to have a seperate washer and dryer. Is it really that big of a pain to move your clothes from the washer to the dryer? It only takes a few seconds.

I would.

I looked into buying a couple of these type of units to replace my seperate washer and dryer. I like to think my time is valuable and I'd rather not have to sit and wait for the one or the other to finish (before swapping the clothes), they Never finish at the same time. So I guess its not so much laziness as it is not wanting to be tied to my washer/drriers schedule. I would prefer to be able to load 2 machines with 2 loads and know that when i return they will be clean and dry.

The main reason i havent done this yet is actually becuase the combo-units I'ive seen Are all meant for space-saving. I want a Large combo unit. Also the reviews ive seen show that as washers, combo units don't do as good a job agitating.

#153303 - 06/04/2003 19:33 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: jasonc]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I'd give a prize to a machine which helps in water conservation. (probably a small thing I won in a raffle tho)
could they develop a machine that stores the rinsewater in a separate tank, to be reused, as an option, to refill the next load. Wouldn't take much smarts or effort but would make the machine slightly larger.
If you sold it for not much more than the current models, it's sell.

#153304 - 30/04/2005 22:00 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer [Re: hybrid8]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Quote:
Now if only I could get my hands on a Dyson DC-08 with a 110 volt motor.

My wife and I finally broke down and bought a Dyson DC vac about two months ago....Man! It Sucks! And I mean that in a great way! It is the best vac we've ever owned! (Man! I guess I am an old fart, if I get excited over a vac!) Now if I could just get Linux installed on it...

#153305 - 30/04/2005 22:37 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clo [Re: rob]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
Europe has shifted to a combined unit - I can't remember the last time I saw separates in the UK

Unfortunately the combined units really suck. I haven't heard a good word about them from people who have them - reliability seems to be appalling and they usually have half the drying load capacity than washing capacity. Maybe your experience is better, but I have separates. They're front loading though [image]/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

I've heard bad things about the reliability too - we have separates, the dryer is over 10 years old and only now are the bearings just going (probably BER).

My cousin has a semi-pro top-loading washer but then again she does have seven kids and run nursery school.

Gareth

#153306 - 30/04/2005 22:43 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer [Re: Ladmo]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:
Quote:
Now if only I could get my hands on a Dyson DC-08 with a 110 volt motor.

My wife and I finally broke down and bought a Dyson DC vac about two months ago....Man! It Sucks! And I mean that in a great way! It is the best vac we've ever owned! (Man! I guess I am an old fart, if I get excited over a vac!) Now if I could just get Linux installed on it...

The only bad things I've heard about the Dyson is a) they aren't as reliable as regular cleaners, and b) they are heavy, which is an issue for some people.

However apparently the main problem is the clutch, and this is repairable yourself if you are a practical person. My cousin's husband (the seven kids one) has three or four Dyson's and I mentioned that if the clutch goes then it is an easy repair, and he said it went on their newest one a couple of weeks ago but they had an extended warranty (pah!) and it was repaired.

Gareth

#153307 - 01/05/2005 03:37 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer [Re: g_attrill]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I discovered a disadvantage to the incredibly effective filter on my Dyson the other day. A few weeks ago I gave the filter its recommended six monthly wash (the filter is a donut shaped bit of dense foam).

The other day I realised that the cleaner wasn't sucking nearly as well as it should, it wasn't managing to spin the turbo brush fast enough to be useful. I thought "oh bugger, its bust".

When I took the cleaner apart though I discovered the problem, the foam filter was solidly filled with what looked like cement dust.

Thankfully the filter is dead easy to clean, 60 seconds of flexing and patting and it was clean.

It sucks again, I love my Dyson...

#153308 - 02/05/2005 22:58 Re: May interest someone - new top loading F&P clothes dryer [Re: g_attrill]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I have a Dyson DC11 so I can't comment on the weight of their upright models... It's no heavier (practically speaking) than any other quality cannister brand (Miele, etc..) And one of Dyson's claims to fame is certainly reliability. "Never loses suction" is a strong comment on reliability.

Other brands just don't offer much in the way of innovation. Dyson's new DC15 "The Ball" is sure to do well in all markets. The US subsidiary has pulled their only cannnister, the DC11, from their lineup, but has just added the DC15 stand-up. Unfortunately, no Dyson machines are yet officially available in Canada. So it's still eBay or "cross-border" shopping for some people. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I might be able to buy a Dyson washing machine sooner rather than later too.

Bruno