Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | Software | RioCar.Org | Hijack | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: External DAC's - thoughts? by tfabris @ Yesterday at 21:31

Quote:That combined with the idea that all hiss will be gone is very tempting to me. Indeed, if you've currently got hiss or hum, moving to an external sound device could potentially improve the situation immensely, as was already discussed. Hiss
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: External DAC's - thoughts? by Archeon @ Yesterday at 19:46

Thanks guys for all your input! Mark: Good to hear these things are effectively external soundcards. Because that's what I'm after. Combined with the ease of having the volume button in front of me, and also the headphones jack. I've just come to
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: External DAC's - thoughts? by tfabris @ Yesterday at 02:31

Originally Posted By: DWallachAlso, I'd avoid Bluetooth. That's just another source of compression artifacts. I'm assuming that ll the models I'm seeing listed that say "bluetooth" are ones where the bluetooth is an added feature that let
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: External DAC's - thoughts? by DWallach @ 28/03/2017 23:35

Ahh, I have many things to say about this! First, a trip in the Wayback Machine to 1997 or thereabouts, where I had a crappy Dell PC on my desk and had just splurged on a pair of Grado Labs bottom-of-the-line headphones. When I plugged them into the
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: External DAC's - thoughts? by tfabris @ 28/03/2017 22:48

I do audio production, so I look at those products and shrug my shoulders, because for a similar amount of money, you could get a full external audio interface with a large number of XLR recording inputs and outputs. But I suppose if you're only ever
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: External DAC's - thoughts? by mlord @ 28/03/2017 22:02

A buddy of mine is "into" such things. They're usually just "USB soundcards", in an external box. I don't know if they sound better than the internal soundcard or not, but the primary benefit they may have is that they're outside
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by Archeon @ 28/03/2017 19:24

That's good to know! Thanks Andy!
Off Topic
Jump to new posts External DAC's - thoughts? by Archeon @ 28/03/2017 19:24

Since there are a few people here that are concerned about good quality sound, I figured I'd ask this question here. I've been using the sound from my PC like this for more than 20 years : Soundcards -> external amp -> speakers The only thing
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by andy @ 28/03/2017 18:02

Apple don't restrict what decoders apps can use. You can find apps that use all sorts of other decoders for audio and video.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by Archeon @ 28/03/2017 17:38

Thanks for all the replies guys! After reading the links Tony provided, I went with the "Listen" app. This is already an improvement over the standard music app, but it still uses the same decoder, so the files still have the same errors.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by tahir @ 28/03/2017 15:16

Thanks Andy, off on hols tomorrow will try when I get back
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by andy @ 28/03/2017 14:09

There are also some other ways to achieve this in any podcast app. There are a number of services that make it quick and easy to create your own personal podcast feeds from your own files. Then just add the feed to you chosen app: http://thesweetset
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by andy @ 28/03/2017 14:06

Both. They give you a page on their site to upload with. Then in the app you either have the choice to download or stream. That does mean though that you'll be uploading them just for the app to then download then
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by tahir @ 28/03/2017 13:26

Do they get stored on the device or in the cloud?
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by andy @ 28/03/2017 11:30

I see, Overcast provides a possible solution then. If you pay for the Overcast Premium subscription (8.99 a year) it gives you the extra facility to upload podcasts to their service and then play them back in the app. It is limited to 2GB of storag
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by tahir @ 28/03/2017 11:21

Because some of the stuff I listen to isn't available as a podcast (I record using GetiPlayer), and I always have a backlog, I'm currently listening to October 2016. And I like to keep hold of my media too, I still have a lot of ISIHAC episodes with
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by andy @ 28/03/2017 11:10

Can I ask why you do that and not just leave it to the podcast app to download on the phone ?
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by tahir @ 28/03/2017 10:53

Originally Posted By: andyI don't think there is a way you can sync a pre existing playlist into Overcast and I'd be surprised if you could with most other podcast apps. Some of them certainly have support for importing podcast subscriptions, but I'
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by andy @ 27/03/2017 20:44

I don't think there is a way you can sync a pre existing playlist into Overcast and I'd be surprised if you could with most other podcast apps. Some of them certainly have support for importing podcast subscriptions, but I've not used any that can i
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: You just can't win. by Heather @ 27/03/2017 19:09

Call them again to talk about cancelling and switching to another provider. The bill should get better after that.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by canuckInOR @ 27/03/2017 17:37

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.hardware-wise, the empeg is nothing special. It's the software that that makes it what it is, and that software required about four man-years to produce. Yes, but those four man-years also include a lot of stuff that c
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by tahir @ 27/03/2017 13:49

I tried a couple if podcast players but they didn't support playlists. I might sync a playlist of 500 (already downloaded) podcasts that I want played in playlist order. If this does that then I will give it a go. Good reviews, I'll try and give it
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by andy @ 27/03/2017 11:55

If you want to listen to podcasts, use a podcast app. My favourite is Overcast https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/overcast-podcast-player/id888422857?mt=8 (iOS only, Android was not well served by quality podcast apps last time I looked)
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Empeg-like player for iOS? by tahir @ 27/03/2017 10:24

I've tried a few but none seem to be better than the standard app. All I want are: 1. The ability to bookmark (like the Karma) 2. A display that shows where you are in a playlist, e.g. track 1 of 399 3. Something that reliably remembers the last pla
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: rsyncing between the Mac and Linux by mlord @ 26/03/2017 18:17

On a related note, I think I might write a fidtomp3 tool for extracting tunes from our empeg players here. Sure, JEmplode can sorta do it, but it seems to have issues and crashes every now and then, and misses some playlists/tunes. So instead I wan
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >