Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | Software | RioCar.Org | Hijack | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Laptop docks (again) - Mac broke them, now what? by JBjorgen @ Yesterday at 02:00

That's why I was wondering. Since the Blackmagic eGPU is a separate GPU, perhaps 3 monitors concurrently will work. It's so new, I haven't actually been able to find anyone who has tried it yet. Of course if it is a software limit, there's no sens
Off Topic
Thunderbolt is just a different PCIe interface (for purposes of this discussion), so I would guess that the limit must be either a software thing or a hardware limit of the specific GPU devices involved. Other PCIe GPU devices can handle 3 monitors
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Laptop docks (again) - Mac broke them, now what? by JBjorgen @ Yesterday at 01:09

Originally Posted By: tfabris To clarify, that won't work because of the Mac's "Two monitors per thunderbolt chip" limit. I have the same limit on the TS3+ dock. Out of curiosity, is this a specific thunderbolt chip limit, a GPU limit, o
Off Topic
Originally Posted By: JBjorgenI'm assuming you could plug the dual-HDMI thingy into the second Thunderbolt port, use the built-in HDMI for the third port, and use the built-in USB hub, To clarify, that won't work because of the Mac's "Two monit
Off Topic
Ah, thanks for reminding me that I needed to follow up on this thread with my solution. The external GPU looks really nice. I find it interesting that it does not have dual monitor outputs. It's got a USB hub and some Thunderbolt pass throughs, thou
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by JBjorgen @ 14/07/2018 05:03

Originally Posted By: DignanI often find that many - if not most - people who say Tivo is dead are the ones who haven't used one in years. *raises hand* Guilty. After like 8 years of nothing meaningful I gave up and moved on. Perhaps when I move
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by Dignan @ 14/07/2018 02:49

Doug, I still don't think we've heard about availability of streaming services in your country...
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by Dignan @ 14/07/2018 02:48

I often find that many - if not most - people who say Tivo is dead are the ones who haven't used one in years. I've used a Tivo exclusively since around 2002, and while they did go a long stretch there without any innovation, I think they're doing a
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by Dignan @ 14/07/2018 01:12

Originally Posted By: DWallachAnother possibility: Let's say you have a U.S. friend willing to subscribe to cable TV and you pay the bill / split the bill with them. On the U.S. side, you put a TiVo box with multiple tuners and a suitable cable card.
Off Topic
I'm assuming you could plug the dual-HDMI thingy into the second Thunderbolt port, use the built-in HDMI for the third port, and use the built-in USB hub, and thus have all of your gear on a single thunderbolt plug with even greater performance. Con
Off Topic
I'll just leave this here: Blackmagic eGPU.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: System Drive Cloning by JBjorgen @ 13/07/2018 23:15

If you don't want to bother with making a boot USB or DVD to do Clonezilla, DriveImage XML is also free for private use and can hot image your drive while you are still booted and using it. UI is a bit clunky, but not too difficult. Our household i
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by JBjorgen @ 13/07/2018 23:02

That's not innovation, that's bloat
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: System Drive Cloning by pca @ 13/07/2018 17:05

I would add to that, once you've checked that the cloned drive works, if you need to restore it for any reason, clone it AGAIN onto a third drive and use that one. There's nothing worse than having your machine eat itself, thinking "Aha! I have
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by tanstaafl. @ 13/07/2018 17:01

Originally Posted By: JBorgenToo bad they stopped innovating about 15 years ago.No... too bad they STARTED innovating about 15 years go. The original TiVo, as you pointed out, was a marvel of simplicity and utility. Then they started adding "
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by JBjorgen @ 13/07/2018 16:00

Originally Posted By: mlord Every DVR I have ever seen has been an insanely over complicated device, with flashing GUI overlays and lots of "sparkle" to confuse the user. And with a remote control that has 50-100 buttons on it. That's
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by mlord @ 13/07/2018 12:24

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.Originally Posted By: tahirKeeping the satellite seems the best optionIs there a possible solution with a DVR? Every DVR I have ever seen has been an insanely over complicated device, with flashing GUI overlays and lo
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by DWallach @ 13/07/2018 03:47

Another possibility: Let's say you have a U.S. friend willing to subscribe to cable TV and you pay the bill / split the bill with them. On the U.S. side, you put a TiVo box with multiple tuners and a suitable cable card. On the Mexican side, you put
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: System Drive Cloning by Attack @ 13/07/2018 02:53

I use CloneZilla https://clonezilla.org/ to move to new drives, so you could use it to make a bootable clone of your current drive. I would recommend booting once from the new backup drive just to confirm that it worked correctly as I've seen the cl
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by tfabris @ 13/07/2018 01:26

Does the satellite service not include a DVR? I thought they all did these days.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts System Drive Cloning by tanstaafl. @ 12/07/2018 22:56

After having to nuke and repave my C: drive (my fault - don't ask!) I would like to set up a system where I could keep a cloned C: copy on an old but serviceable hard drive that I can keep in a drawer somewhere. Should the need arise, I would just p
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by tanstaafl. @ 12/07/2018 22:41

Originally Posted By: tahirKeeping the satellite seems the best optionIs there a possible solution with a DVR? Something along the lines of I would load the DVR with programming and John would play the programs from the DVR? Sort of like a manual-lo
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Theater Advice by tahir @ 12/07/2018 17:25

Keeping the satellite seems the best option, my wife's dad has early stage dementia and it's very difficult for him to make even tiny changes to how things work in his life.
Off Topic
I think if it were me I'd try the freelancing route first, if it doesn't work out then seek employment. Of course whatever you do is going to mean retraining but I guess with the skills you akready have you could easily jump into java, .net etc and a
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Figuring out how to re-enter the tech industry by Phoenix42 @ 12/07/2018 13:23

Originally Posted By: tahirDo big tech firms have counselling available? Maybe there's a gap there? Every company is going to be different, and different countries within the one company are going to be different. But, in the US in my experience wi
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >