I'm working with a currently existing program to create a working palm based empeg remote. The results I feel will be somewhat mixed. (If your wondering what prompted this, check here.)

The Pros:
  1. Palm Devices have backlight capabilities.
  2. The Palm seems to send a stronger signal.
  3. Entirely new signals could be designed for new features or personal favorites.
  4. Eventually remotes are going to go from nearly impossible, to completely impossible to come by.
  5. Instead of paying something like this for a remote that has less features, you can pay something like this for a remote that will keep your datebook, checkbook, little black book, etc. (For our friends across the pond check here and here.) Of course if you already joined the Pda revolution, your out nothing.

Cons:
  1. Right now there is no allowance for "holding" a button for a different feature, dramatically increasing the number of buttons required possibly even to a second screen. (still working on that one.)
  2. Most palms time out after 3 minutes, which would increase any remote punches further than that time apart from 1 to 2. (This can be hacked, however then you run the risk of the pda staying on for 12 hours in your pocket because you forgot to turn it off.)
  3. Pda screens, of course, are not raised so buttons can be found only by sight.

This list is not meant to comprehensive, basically its just late and I'm ranting. But if you've lost your remote and I can find a way to save the settings as a macro it may help. Hopefully if its quality somebody will post it for download for me.

A few other possibilities:
  1. If you have a car mount for your pda, most have an always on mode if the unit is being charged.
  2. Personally, I think this will allow me to leave my remote in the car and use my palm anywhere else I may be. The less I carry my remote, the better.

If this is even slightly interesting to you let me know. If its just for me I won't refine it past a beta.