People asked awhile back if there was some way to get an optical output to be easily docked and undocked for use in a car environment....
.... Something to try anyway.

I have just started to pay attention to the "digital out" thread -- finally got a receiver with digital inputs (and will likely buy one of your boards if still possible).

I wonder generally how desirable an optical interface would be in a docking environment. A docking connector would ideally have dust covers on both sides. How to make those automagically retract? Sockets typically have that but the fiber tip/plug itself? Even *with* a magical cover, I would think that frequent docking/undocking (esp in an automotive environment) would make this configuration more prone to dust collection and degradation. One other small question is how critical the air gap is on consumer fiber connectors -- if the fiber tip was not inserted 100% would you get signal attenuation?

Anyhow, if I do this, I think I'd be sticking with coax. Even then, I wonder about the rating (number of insertions) of typical RCA connectors as compared to the Empeg docking connector, but I figure it is worth doing. Easy to modify my home docking sled "plywood-n-ShoeGoo" adapter to incorporate a male RCA.

Cool stuff, man.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.