I just installed version 3 of that kernel, thanks. It's working fine, although it doesn't completely solve the long-fade-out-cutoff problem for me. It doesn't seem to cut off the ends of songs unless they have long fade-outs. I'm pretty sure all it's doing is dropping the volume from "amplified" to "normal" suddenly when the quiet bit drops below the noise floor threshold. If that was just a sloped volume decrease instead of a cutoff, it would sound fine. I dunno how you'd handle that in the code, though.

As I was driving and listening to the music through this kernel, a thought occured to me:

The main reason we want to amplify the quiet bits, is because we want to hear them above the noise floor of the car's interior environment, right? When there's no ambient noise, we'd prefer not to have the volume adjuster kernel pumping away at the tracks. Sounds like a perfect application for the mic input to me. Make the volume adjuster parameters get more agressive as the ambient noise level goes up, and back off on the parameters as the ambient noise drops to zero.

This differs from the concept of "speed sensitive volume" (already discussed elsewhere) in the following way: If you're driving on the freeway at a stead speed, an ordinary speed-sensitive-volume control would leave unit at a fixed volume, with the quiet bits still being too quiet compared to the loud bits. My version would continue to behave like the voladj kernel, dynamically adjusting the individual musical passages to keep them above the noise floor, it would just do it more agressively when the car cabin environment is louder.

Anyway, that's just a pie-in-the-sky idea, but I thought I'd share it.

I put it in a zip file this time.

That worked great and solved my download problems.

Also included is the kernel source patch, so if people want they can stick it in their own custom kernels.

Speaking of which, it would be cool if you and Bobo could get together and offer a combination kernel: Volume adjustment plus custom logo. Actually, Bobo could just take your included source code and patch his own if he was up to it. Bobo, are you reading this?