For something as misison-critical as a departmental server, I recommend against attempting a "migration" upgrade. I always do new servers from scratch. That's my standard procedure for all operating systems, not just NT4->NT5, I don't trust any of the migration wizards to do it right.

I tend to follow the same philosophy... however the thing that is biting me in the ass is the printer setup. How can I do this so that I don't have to go around and manually setup the printers on all the computers again?

Besides, you should never miss an opportunity to clean an OS completely and start from scratch. Systems always run faster and more stably after a re-install of the OS because you don't have all the old unused crap such as old drivers and old software modules.

Regardless of which way I do it, it will be a totally clean server. It is brand new (Compaq Prosignia ML330e) and I have already ran through an installation once just to try it out. I noted that I can choose between 'This is a new server for a new network' or 'This is a new server on an existing network' and something else. It almost seems as though it would be more straight forward to do the whole new network thing and setup a new network with the same Domain and somehow move all the files from the old server to the new (Copy from old server to a workstation, unplug old server, plug in new server and copy files from workstation to new server). But what about them printers... logon script maybe??

Your only trick will be if you're using domain security and that NT4 server is the domain controller. If so, you'll need to do the Domain Controller Dance (tm) as part of the migration. I've done this before, following Microsoft's instructions, and it's not that difficult, it's just time-consuming.

I assume you are referring to trust relationships here?? This is the only server on this domain which is not, nor has it ever been, attached to any other domain.

Thanks for the help thus far, it's all greatly appreciated!

Rene