I recently purchased an Orinoco WavLAN Ethernet Converter from one of the fine upstanding members of this board. I did this with the idea of installing it in my car so that I can sync from my office computer without bringing my empeg into the office (which we can assume for the sake of brevity, is forbidden.)

My dilemma is that I want to be able to sync at any point during the day without walking out to my car and turning the ignition on so that the player is on. In my thinking so far, I've only come up with two possibilities:

1. Have the player stay in standby mode all day
2. Hook up a RF remote by which I can remotely turn the player on.

WRT #1 - So far, I've not been able to find a setting that will make the player stay in standby mode indefinitely when the ACC power goes off. I'm aware of the setting to extend that time in emplode. Should I just enter in an insanely large number like 43,200? That should cover most of my work days as I usually don't work longer than 12 hrs. Also, is the power consumption such that I would have to worry about starting the car again after the player has been on standby for that period of time?

WRT #2 - If number 1 won't work due to battery consumption, any ideas on a good way to implement this? What comes to mind is those remote ignition kits...but how do those work?

If it's just a remote switch, I could just wire it to switch the acc wire on the sled between the permanent 12v line and the ACC line, but then I'd have to remember to turn it off every time (undesirable outcome). I would basically want it to reset to acc power every time the ignition was switched.

If it just sends a pulse down the line, I could have it send 12v down the acc line only while the remote button is pressed so that the player would turn on and immediately go into standby mode when the remote button is depressed. Then I could just have the standby time set to an hour or two.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you can offer.