I have a Dell Poweredge with a PERC2 DC hardware raid controller and I'm upgrading the disks from an 18 GB RAID 1 (presenting the OS two logical partitions, including the boot partition) to a 73 GB RAID 1. The PERC2 allows hot swap, which I tried today and moved my mirrored logical paritions over to the 73 GB's. I've go Powerquest Volume Manager arriving tomorrow.

My question is what's the best tactic for upsizing my two logical drives? I'm thinking that it is to move them back onto the 18GB RAID 1 pair, create two new logical partitions from the 73 GB drives (larger of course) and then (hopefully) use Volume Manager to 'move' the data partitions to the newly created logical paritions. I'm assuming this'll require a boot floppy from Volume Manager to do the change over.

I was originally going to 'resize' the two logical parititions like I've done before with Partition Magic on my home box but then I remembered the OS won't even see the extra space on my 73GB RAID 1 pair as the PERC doesn't tell it that it even exists.

Am I on the right track? Anyone have some Volume Manager experience they care to share?

-Zeke