Right... so I couldn't wait for the mlord docking station special, and I built my own. It was intended to take the place of the el-cheapo stereo on my desk at work + wires. I hacked up the stereo, and fit it into the docking station, along with the empeg. While I was hacking, I got rid of the CD player (which didn't work), and the tape player. Unfortunately, while doing so, I think I may have clipped something I shouldn't have, as when I put it all together, and gave it a test, I was only ever able to get sound out of the left channel. I thought it might be one of the connections I soldered, but after double checking those, plus wiggling various wires around, I only managed to make the situation worse -- I'm not getting *any* signal now.

I've been looking around for another cheap stereo with RCA aux-in ports, and they just don't come as cheap as what the guy moving back to France who's getting rid of anything that can't be carried on a plane sold me the original one for. Then the idea hit me that I could scavange the harder-to-find parts for a simple amp from the now deceased stereo. I also get the benefit of for soldering practice before I have to try putting together pca's tuner kit.

The down side? Well, I know jack squat about electronics. I found the spec for the power amp IC online here, which includes a diagram for a test circuit. If I were to build that test circuit, would it have enough power to drive the pair of 8ohm (5W max) speakers that I have left over?

Any advice would be splendid.

Thanks...