Nah, I don't think there's anything wrong with the player, I think it's just a POS piece of GPS hardware.

I just did some messing around with it, and I think the real determining factor in the whole equation is simply how long it's been since the last time the GPS was powered up. I tried starting it up with the correct time set on the clock, and after 12 minutes it still hadn't acquired any satellites. But then I started messing with the clock settings and starting/stopping (pulling the sled) and it acquired within 4 minutes. And now it's fully acquired the moment I go into the software, regardless of the time setting.

I'll bet it's a battery thing. It's got a 4-hour Lithium-ion battery, and I'll be the whole problem is that the battery goes dead after it sits overnight or all day. And then it only gets charge when I've got the player in the unit ('cause I've hooked it to Amp Rem).

I think it's time for me to look at whether I can permanently wire it to +12v. I'm heading out to do that now.

I'm going to test its current draw. What should I consider excessive (i.e., I shouldn't 't leave it on permanent +12v if it draws X amps)?