Interesting. It sounds like KoS needs his converter to handle different variations in the BMP file format, and he's using Paint Shop Pro as his only baseline test. First step would be to allow a file that's two bytes too big...

As far as the discrepancies in color for the pixels, it's probably just that your paint program's palette isn't in the order that KoS's converter is expecting them in. Try PSP and see if that takes care of your problems.

I'd suggest to KoS that he allow .GIF input because it's better-standardized, but there's a lot more code involved in GIF decoding, and I don't think he's ready to put that kind of time into it.

This is all still very preliminary, the converter programs will develop and get better over time, and allow more types of input. When they settle down a bit, I'll update the FAQ. For now, KoS has the only Win32-exe that'll do the conversion. Bobo has a Java one, but he needs to have it linked from his main page... it's not linked at the moment (do a BBS search on Bobo's posts to find where he announced it), and Andy's isn't available yet.