For me, there's an economic basis for reducing my purchases of CDs... while I've been enjoying my 1000+ CD collection on my Empeg, over the past two years I've been shifting more of my entertainment budget towards purchasing movies and video series on DVD. Y'know, to finally get Cosmos and The Young Ones on my shelf.

I still buy CD's, but my need for latest-chart-hits has been replaced with fewer, must-have albums -- after I've grown attached to a few singles on my NPR affiliate or other webcast stations I listen to. (I seem to be purchasing more Luaka Bop recordings these days...)

Shame on you, music publishers, for pushing overpriced albums and not building a viable distribution channel for music singles... what goes around comes around, no?

Not to mention, once you toss in TiVo, niche-y cable TV channels, technical books from Amazon, RSS news feeds every morning, etc. -- in a nutshell, my attention-span budget is stretched tighter than it ever was before.

So forgive me, RIAA, for not lining your pockets quite the way I did in the past. (Keep working on digital distribution of singles, however, if you really want to earn more of my entertainment dollar.)

One thing's for sure: if you keep pursuing DRM-only schemes that make it difficult for me to enjoy my music on devices of my choice, you can bet I'll be buying even less of your product -- and others (read: indie musicians) will likely be happy to fill the gap. Ciao...
______________ Empeg Mk. 2 #626, 48Gb blue | Kenwood KMD-X92. 2000 VW Passat wagon.