I just used GPSApp on a long trip (8-10 hours each way, to Portland and back), and your message just reminded me to report on its usefulness.

MapsOnUs sucks.

MapsOnUs sucks big green donkey dick.

Fortunately, I knew this ahead of time and did not depend on their data. I supplanted it with printouts from MapQuest, which were excellent and provided me with the exact route data I needed.

The problem is that GPSApp is only useful to me if I can throw away the printouts and depend totally on it. Because of the fact that MapsOnUs sucks so bad, I cannot depend on its directions. Therefore, its use on this trip was merely a testing exercise.

Now, for most of the trip, which was the long haul on I-5, the map data was correct. I followed my little arrow along the line on I-5. But for the smaller highways between my house and I-5, MapsOnUs was totally wrong. MapQuest nailed it exactly, including a shortcut on a little-used road called "Woodruff Lane" which I've been using for years because it shaves at least 20 minutes off of the route. MapsOnUs had me going pretty far out of the way which would have added at least 30 minutes to the trip above and beyond the 20 minutes that the Woodruff shortcut saves me.

GPSapp itself worked quite well the whole time. However, it had a couple of problems:

- The known bug where it disappears from the Hijack menu happened a couple of times.

- The known bug where pressing the left button to zoom-out the map did not do so, instead it rewound the song with no way to stop it. This happened several times.

- It had a new bug where if you left it up and running for several hours, then for a moment the music from the player stuttered. After that, all front-panel input stopped working and I had to reboot the player by using the POWER button on the remote.

But when it worked, the basic functionality of the GPSapp software was great, it did exactly what I would want it to do. And all of the work for keeping my Rand McNally unit from going into full-reboot-mode was doing its job properly, each time I started the player the satellites came right up.

If we could clean up the aforementioned bugs, and if we could use MapQuest data instead of MapsOnUs, it would be the perfect application for me. The latter, unfortunately, is out of our control I fear.