A few hours ago, I left Wilmington, NC from a weekend vacation. Wilmington happens to be the east-coast terminus of I-40, and as I was leaving town, I was amused to notice a typical green distance-to-destination sign that showed the remaining distance to Barstow, CA (the west-coast terminus of I-40) to be 2,524 miles.

I was vaguely curious if there was a similar sign just outside Barstow showing the distance to Wilmington. If there's anyone in the Barstow area, the sign on the Wilmington side was within a few miles of the start of I-40.

And, since I'm talking about roadside signs, I saw one of the weirdest signs ever (it even beats the ``No driving on sidewalks'' signs in Chapel Hill). Driving down a state road from Wilmington to Southport, the areas around which are largely uninhabited, all of a sudden, there was a lone sign marked solely ``Do not mow''. Were people randomly driving their lawn mowers thirty miles down the road just to mow the shoulder of this road? And, if so, why does the government specifically want them to stop? I should have brought my camera.