Now that I've installed my player, I have a couple questions. Yes, I've been active on the board for > 2.5 years and I just last month installed my player!

In my '02 Maxima, I've got a Bose 6-disc in-dash changer wired to the aux-in of my empeg. The empeg runs out to the stock Bose amp. Having read the FAQ, I was expecting to have some volume issues because my setup is:
Bose HU ----> empeg ----> Bose AMP
and I've heard that they are different voltages.

But the effect is different than I was anticipating. The output from the empeg is too quiet. When I turn the volume up to 0db, it's a good strong medium, but not as loud as it should be (my perception of "should be" is based on listingen to CDs in the Bose HU -> Bose amp before I installed the empeg). And when I'm listening to a CD, if I turn the Bose HU's volume up more than about 2/3, it starts clipping and is rather distorted.

So my question is: Can I get more volume out of the empeg without replacing the amp? Maybe put another piece of hardware inline? I'm thinking that replacing the amp would then mean replacing the speakers (Bose being so proprietary and all). I've changed my config.ini so I can set the empeg to +10db, but over about +5 it gets notably distorted.

For never having installed a car stereo myself, I'm pleased not to have any problems with alternator whine, sub thumping or even Tony's pop when pulling the empeg out while driving. I've had many an occation when some experimental software I'm playing with exhibits bugs that require a power cycle and pulling the player out while driving and putting it back in has no pop at all (another reason I'd rather not replace the amp).