BAKup and I ended up meeting up for lunch. He helpfully had his empeg in an empeg-labelled carrying case on the table, making him somewhat easy to identify.

The arcade had just about everything I might have wanted to play, in particular, they had working Tempest and Star Wars games, as well as a wonderful Addams Family pinball game. I even got to play good old, original Atari Asteroids (copyright 1979, it said).

Sadly, there was no Battlezone, Major Havoc, Frogger, Pac Man, or really much of anything of the really old games like Pong, Night Driver, and so forth. Still, they had Frenzy (the Bezerk clone), Gorf (but no Wizard of Wor), Gauntlet ("green elf needs food, badly"), Sinistar ("Beware, I live") and even Dragon's Lair (but no Space Ace).

As it turns out, another friend of mine showed up there who was an ace with Star Wars. He had mastered the whole "use the force" thing and happily got up to level 12 without firing a single shot in the final trench scene. I usually start crapping out around level 8 when the trenches get pretty harrowing.

Take all that, and add in a bunch of 80's music on the club's PA system and a full bar, and it was really just a fantastic way to spend the afternoon. When they do this again next year, I'll be there.