I got my Palm Vx in the mail today and immediately set to work trying to get Palantir to work.

Once I had everything loaded and configured as per the new web page instructions I tried to sync a simple playlist of 10 songs to the empeg. I was watching the console via the serial connection and on it I saw two seg fault messages, one each for the player and empire, and then both shut down. The player restarted automatically, empire did not. (expected since it's run once in the config.ini) I rebooted the whole thing and tried several times, and each time it did the same thing. I went back over the installation and checked it out. The was only two differences. First I could see the file permissions were slightly different than the file listing on the setup page. I chmod'ed a bit and cleaned everything up. Secondly, my libopenobex.la was slightly different, so I redownloaded the empire.zip file and got the same 776 byte file rather than the 744 in the pic. I figured this was a documentation error.

Satisified that my install was correct and all permissions were correct but still with the seg fault errors, I went into the empeg menuing system and picked out a random song to play and started it up to see if the empeg still worked. All the usual empeg functionality worked fine. I fired up Palantir again and it now worked as well.

I experimented a bit and it appears that Palantir inserts the songs into the currently playing list after the currently playing song. However when I first started the player there was no songs in the list at all and nothing was playing (I'm assuming because of the kernel update), so perhaps it was trying to insert into position 2 of a 0 length list and crashed because of this?

Also if this is how it works (adding after the current song) is it somehow possible to make an option to have Palantir instead stop playing, replace the current song/playlist, and then start playing the new list rather than modifying the current one? Perhaps a checkbox on the palm app of some sort.
I personally would prefer to do that alot of the time, and that's generally how the empeg menu system works as well.

Another bit of strange behavior comes if the player has completed a playlist and stopped and you upload a Palantir list. It adds the new songs after the first song in the now completed list. So then you have to hit play and next song to get to the songs you just sent. This doesn't seem like how it should work. If it's not playing because it's at the end of a list I'd expect it to at the least add the new playlist's songs to the end and start playing them, or even better as suggested above replace the completed playlist (since it's done anyway) with the new one and start playing it.

Does any of this make sense?

Also I'd like to second the viewing options thing someone else suggested. A good example of where an album view would be useful is in Soundtracks. Since they have many different artists the only way for me to beam a full soundtrack over now is to know every song on it and select them all and send it over. Even if I do manage to find them all hey'll probably still be out of order since you can't reorder the list.

All these things aside, this is a really cool app, and I'm glad I picked up a Palm to try it out with. Everyone who has seen my empeg loves it, but using the interface to search was difficult for them. This would make it much, much easier.