If Jan wants to give me some guidelines for making a "bridge" that would be welcome.

Not sure what would be needed. But it is probably best to keep roadmap as unmodified as possible to be able to track new releases. Gpsapp is smaller and I might just grab some or all of your changes at some point.

Real large scale zoom outs are dangerous anyways because they require so much disk reads that the empeg can easily get cloberred.

That's one of my issues with the data format. I had already decided that the data should probably be stored in several 'layers' so that at a larger zoom we don't have to seek past the unused details. i.e. one file with interstates and possibly borders/large bodies of water for the whole of the US. Other highways and possibly mayor roads in per-state files, etc.

No idea how you could put in what address you wanted though on the empeg without the remote or something.

We can intercept remote button codes as well. Grab them after a knob longpress, or some menu selection. I typically use the remote to adjust the volume while gpsapp is running.
40GB - serial #40104051 gpsapp