Okay, I realize that people here are probably not big musical theater fans (nor am I), but I went to see Phantom of the Opera (as performed by its national touring company) last night with my wife, and was abruptly reminded that Andrew Lloyd Webber really sucks.

His music doesn't even qualify as insipid. That would require some melody or at least something of interest, good or bad, to latch onto. It's the most uninspired drivel I've ever heard. Which is too bad, as the play itself -- the libretto, if you will (notably not written by Webber) -- is not bad, and the acting, especially the comedic bits of it, was good.

Why is his stuff so popular? If forced to go to a musical, I'd much rather see something by Sondheim, who at least knows how to write a song. But of the big slows playing near me, there are none there. At least there's a production of South Pacific. As dated as it may be, Rogers and Hammerstein knew how to write a musical.

QOTD: Almost anything that can manifest, in order to move in this dimension, can be killed. Kinda the down side to bein' here. That, and the so-called ``musicals'' of Andrew Lloyd Webber. -- Lorne (Angel)