Ok.. i've seen a bunch of posts, and talked to a couple people about jetta installs.. here's my version:

2000 Jetta GLS, Monsoon 8speaker upgrade option.

if you have the monsoon system, you have an external amp, that is decent, but has a couple of problems.

#1: the monsoon amp is expecting high level inputs, aprox 10-12 volts, so the output on the empeg is very quiet, compared to what you get out of the factory deck.

options: buy a pair of $120 (audio king) signal boosters, that will allow the output from the empeg to drive the mosoon amp just fine, you could get away with one booster, but you would loose front->rear fader control. or find a booster that supports 4 channels.

#2: the monsoon amp HATES the empeg being pluged in while it's active.. i think there are several problems here.. and may be a software fixable thing by the empeg guys.
options: I don't know yet, but the booster may solve this problem. I think the better solution is this.. if there is control over the amplifier powerup lead, don't init the amplifier untill the empeg is powered up, and ready to play.. the amp in the jetta powers up quickly (i also have used xtant amplifiers that take aprox 3-4 seconds too boot before supplying spekars with auido) also, when the empeg is supposed to be in power-off mode.. shut down the amplifier, so you can yank the head unit without poping the system. I had the amp freak out, and not produce audio 2 times, while doing the install, just by yanking the empeg and plugging it back in with the car off.. i had to wait several min before droping it back in.

all that said.. here's what I'm planning: total replacement of the monsoon system.

I purchased my jetta with the intent to re-do the audio system.. I ended up getting a deal with the dealer on a 2000 and not a 2001, so the cost of the monsoon was removed (another dealer had a car i wanted, but not in the color i wanted, but the one with the color i wanted had the monoson, decent tactict to get the price down :)
sooooooooooooo.. where was i..
I have the empeg installed, running on the monsoon amp currently, but this weekend (2nd of sept.) I will be installing a shiny new xtant 403a, and a subwoofer from a previous vehicle. what I'm going to try and figure out before the week is over, the exact wiring info for the factory speakers, so i don't have to source run all new wires to the speakers, so if i need to, installing the factory deck is simple as unplug amp, pull empeg, and re-install old equipment, no soldering, or cutting or anything. (wish me luck)

that said.. i'm off to bed, with dreams in empeg visuals, and monsoon connectors.

i wish I had a digital camera durring the fist part of the install.. oh well.. i will be getting one from a friend this weekend, so stay tuned to http://nerp.net/~ben/pix/car/empeg (it doesn't exist yet.. but will soon as i take some pics)

12gig green mk2 -- 080000125