i just had an epiphany driving to work today. i usually use the "mark track" feature to get rid of a really bad song on my empeg. today, i was doing doing menu x3 random and encountered a song that i HAD to put in my favorites. now, i was just wishing that i could've marked it, but it might be mistaken as something i want to delete. multiple marking meanings has been talked about before. now here's the solution i thought of, which should be fairly easy to implement. it will give you two "lists", independent of one another. all you're gonna need is to modify the kernel a bit <glares at mlord> and have two drives.

the answer would be dynamic partition remapping. the /dev/hdc3 partition is unused. why not be able to 1) be able to make an exact copy of /dev/hda3 to it, then 2) let the kernel be able to toggle which dynamic partition to read/write to by redirection.

this is the functionality i see. in hijack, i see two menu options of 1) clone current dynamic partition and 2) toggle dynamic partition. so at the end of the day, open up emplode and look at all the marked files and do whatever you need to do with them... then use hijack to toggle the dynamic partition... and then reload emplode, and get the other marked track list. could be also useful for basically doubling the amount of saved settings that the player is capable of.

or an even more ambitious project is to use a spare program partition (hda2 or c2) and split it into 8 (sctratch=2mb, xtraprogs=16mb if i recall correctly) and be able to keep 9 different lists.

so, good idea bad idea?