Google led me to this:

http://www.zauruszone.com/wiki/index.php?SerialPort

Which says this:

Using the Radio Shack $99 DigiTraveler? (PC edition)

Note: much of the weirdness discovered during this adventure has been documented above.

Walking into the Rat Shack one day I discovered the Radio Shack's DigiTraveler?, a $99 GPS receiver with no display that hooks up to your laptop. It came with DeLorme? software, which made it a better deal than when DeLorme? offered a similar packet with their EarthMate? or TripMate? receivers. Better yet, the Rat Shack model outputs NMEA using a serial cable, instead of Rockwell Binary, so it will work with more apps! I had been looking for a battery box to bolt onto a ETAK Rockwell Binary receiver I had for a number of years, and not relishing having to build a Rockwell Binary decoder (kind of dead-end) I jumped on the Rat Shack model.

The DigiTraveler? runs on 3 AAA batteries for, it claims, 12 hours. When hooked to a PC it uses the PC's TxD line (from PC) to detect whether or not it is connected to the PC, and turns itself on.

lots of Zaurus related stuff in here!.

As far as this receiver is concerned, I cannot say how good it is. I just gotten it working. It attempted its first fix with the assumption that it was located somewhere in Asia, which probably slowed down this first fix. However, after leaving it "off" for about half an hour, and plugging it back in, it seemed to remember where it was, and also seems to store an almanac. I would bet this is forgotten when the batteries are pulled. I'll either post more later, or let someone else add to this.

Which implies a DeLorme/Rockwell core receiver. I am not familiar with the command structure for these but perhaps someone else who is, can point you to the init strings.

Lynn