I am going to build a new server for our small office soon (12 people). Currently, we are running an NT 4.0 server I built 6 or 7 years ago and upgraded 1.5 years ago. We are still using 2.0GB DAT tapes for backup and it is a pain in the ass. Recently, the drive went dead and I had to find a replacement that would work with our antique ARCserveIT software and be backward compatible with our DDS-1 tapes.

We backup every day, so we have 31 daily tapes that get written-over evey month and then we keep 12 end of month tapes per year. We are pretty comfortable fitting our data onto the 2GB tapes, but more headroom would be nice. Plus, the tapes break pretty often with the new Seagate drive I put in.

I was wondering if there is a simple/cheap software package capable of doing scheduled backups onto a DVD RAM drive. I am interested in DVD RAM because it would more than double our backup capacity and the plastic shell makes me think it's durable as we would use most of them over and over again. The ability to mount the media like any other DVD/CD is a plus compared to tape as well. We would likely be moving to Win 2000 Advanced Server or 2003 Server so NT 4.0 sopport is not necessary. So, does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Edited by robricc (11/08/2003 14:00)