I can still believe that CDs cannot accurately record/reproduce the incredibly high overtones some instruments make, like those of a violin or a flute, and the sound could be affected by that. I realize that humans probably cannot hear those tones directly, but they might interact with each other and the fundamental in such a way as to produce different timbres in person, in an analog recording and in a CD recording. So I can believe that chamber and possibly classical music can sound significantly different depending on the medium.

That does not mean that I can determine those differences, nor do I believe that most modern music has the requisite criteria for that sort of loss to occur. But I can believe that some people can hear it.

What I have a problem with is when people are being told that these $2500 cables are going to improve their listening enjoyment, when there is, at most, probably 0.1% of the population that can hear those differences. At that point, it's just about pretentious luxury spending, and bilking people out of their money, not about sound quality.