think I missed why you would go to so much trouble instead of installing SE to begin with.
Because I've got so much STUFF installed and working under 98, and so many little tweaks and things, and everything is (was) running just perfectly under 98. I don't want to have to start over again by installing a new OS if I don't have to. It would take me months to get the system back to where it was if I went to a new OS. At that point, I'd skip SE completely and go straight to 2k. But before I do that, I want to give this existing installation of 98 a fighting chance.

I mean, yeah, I did do a parallell installation of SE and it worked for most of the stuff. But migrating everything and making sure each app works and has all its settings and everything is just a lot of work that I'd like to avoid if I can just get the freaking soundcard working under 98.

But even taking everything else into account, it's a good academic question: How do you fake out an app to make it think it's under a different OS?