That's great information, smelly FerretBoy. A/C is extremely important here in the Wash DC area. I'll ask today about the unit and energy saving features of the house.

This builder outsources the kitchen and bathrooms to a company that specializes in that sort of work mostly for renovations. I'm hoping that this prevents the builder markup I've heard about on these sorts of things. I went through an extensive kitchen renovation a year ago in my current house and I'm now quite experienced in what is available and what it should cost. This is the part of the process I'm most comfortable with.

I like the way this builder does the appliances. I have a $2500 allowance to visit a specified appliance store and choose a fridge, range, hood and dishwasher. I think that's a reasonable allowance for mid range appliances (unless this store's game is to rip off captive customers). If I want better stuff I can pay the difference.

I did find out the landscaping package yesterday and it's pretty much nil. They will seed and hay the area that was disturbed by construction. They rest of the lot is left to me. Right now most of it is open field with ankle high brush. I definitely don't want to be mowing ten acres so I wouldn't want it all sodded but I would like some basic landscaping to be included.

I don't even get a walkway from the driveway to the front door. This was a disappointment also.

We are going to have well water. Good question about the water softener. I also have some questions about the compressor tank they are installing. It's only 32 gallons which I have been told is not enough. I need to do some research on this.

Great suggestions (from everyone) about the cabling. The builder will let me on the property to run cabling myself. He only requests I that don't drill holes without consulting him. From the realtor's descriptions, this builder seems very reasonable and willing to work with me.

My realtor already insisted that I get a home inspector so that will definitely be done at the time of our walkthrough.

-Dylan