First off I'd like to thank Mike for providing us Linux users with such a useful piece of software, but it would be even more useful to me if I could use it over a USB connection as well as ethernet. I know this is somewhat of a long-standing problem with JEmplode, but after following the USB connection FAQ I still can't convince JEmplode to recognise my empeg over USB.

I'm using RedHat 9, and have installed JEmplode freshly using the installer file that includes the Java VM (Sun 1.4.0) provided at http://www.jempeg.org/installers-20b11/. I have also replaced the jemplode20.jar with the version 44 release. Following the serialusb-HOWTO I have installed the Java Communications API, and have also installed the version 1.4 RXTX serial and parallel libraries following the instructions on the RXTX website. Now, RXTX clearly is working as when I now run JEmplode I receive an error message from RXTX saying I need to be a member of the uucp group to run RXTX. As expected, JEmplode runs fine when I am the root user.

I've created the gnu.io.rxtx.properties file and listed the usb ports as /dev/usb/ttyUSB0:/dev/usb/ttyUSB1. These links do exist on my filesystem, so I presume they are the correct ones to use. However, on connecting the empeg to my laptop via the usb cable and turning on all the connection options on JEmplode (including serial connection), I receive the "No devices found" message. The USB connection appears to be working as the usbview program clearly lists the RioCar as a connected device, and I've tried attaching it via all of the laptops USB ports.

On a completely different topic I've noticed that using JEmplode with Sun Java 1.4.0 I can upload songs a directory at a time via the CTRL-D option fine, but uploading individual songs via the CTRL-N option doesn't work. The open file dialog appears, but after selecting a file and OK'ing it, the dialog disappears and nothing happens - no upload occurs. This problem doesn't exist with Sun Java 1.3.1, and I haven't tried other versions yet.

I honestly don't expect to find a solution to these problems, but if anyone could suggest something I'd greatly appreciate it! Hopefully it may be of use to others as well.

Oh, and another question while I'm at it. If I have created a soup playlist on the empeg using JEmplode will it automatically update this soup playlist when I upload music in the future that would potentially belong to the soup? If not is it possible to save the list of formulae that create the all of the soups on the empeg so that these soup playlists may be simply updated when I upload new music?

Thanks,
Ross