when i import vbr files, the length that is extrapolated from the track is always off. the more i experiment with it, i'm more i'm certain that there is something wrong with the vbr header parsing code used in both programs. before you assume that my mp3s just need to be vbrfixed, just note that the mp3s in question was freshly created by lame 3.9.3 with the use of --preset mw-us (avergae of 40kbps for voice). i assume that lame would create valid xing vbr headers. and for fun, i've also ran it thru mp3ts (makes it WAY off... like 1 minute shorter in winamp and even more in (j)emplode), vbrfix, and mpxutil (no change).

the files in question are long lectures, about an hr. long. at first, i thought it to be a problem with mpeg-2.5, so i resampled to 44100, and the same thing happens. its hard to catch on shorter tracks, but from what i've seen, it adds 1 second ot the length for every 6-7 minutes. so a track that show 71:35 in winamp shows 71:44 in both emplode/jemplode. and this is driving me crazy. its not too critical with music, but to be constantly rewinding and secondguessing if i heard a part of a lecture after i pause or start the car is really an inconvenience.