I'd like to get my girlfriend a portable player for Christmas as well, but I can't justify the Karma, even if it was made by a team whose technical an creative skills I really admire. At least not right now. Of course it's not only the price.

I appreciate everything the Karma has to offer because I'm the type of person who also really appreciates the uniqueness of the empeg. However much my GF thinks the empeg is cool however, I think she would be happier with something a little more mainstream like an iPod, if only for simplicity. But I have a problem with their price and that whole servicing fiasco.

The Karma, as has been pointed out numerous times, should have come with a case. Not a bag and not even a cheap throw-away case, but a good case. The iPods (the top models anyway) come with a decent slip case. Even the Nomad Zen comes with a very nice case that has a belt strap thing on it.

The Karma has an excellent shape for the hand, but I don't believe that to be of significant importance as most listening would be done with it resting elsewhere. Its shape doesn't seem very convenient for mounting or resting on another surface.

Then of course there are accessories... You can get a CD-changer interface for the iPod. I'd have to set my GF up with car-access to any player I got her. This is less involved than requiring AUX input with the added bonus of easy control through existing head unit buttons. Plus it's infinitely better sound quality (and installation cleanliness) than using a tape or FM adapter - yuck.

Anyway, didn't mean to rant, just thought I was in a similar boat, but at the point where I'm unsure what to get. I'd get a Nomad Zen 20GB if they were back in stock at an online Canadian retailer for $279 (CAD) like they were last week. And I'd get an iPod if I could get one for 50% off retail. A Karma I'd buy if I as looking for a unit for myself. As long as the storage went up to 40GB (or preferably more - like 60 or 80GB).

Bruno