Greetings!

I have noticed a lot of subtle things about the music improving with the new speakers. It is hard for me to categoriz(s)e (I still have that buzz in one of them), but...

1) I find I hear a lot more than I did previously. A lot of detail and subtle things in the music are now very clear, even at modest volumes. This is really good for picking up items in the music (i.e., voices, instruments) that were masked by the other lines being played.

2) It seems much easier to separate lines of music / instruments. There is a clarity that was not there before. It is as if muddy-ness I had never noticed before has been removed.

3) There is a greater spacial feel. Instead of all of the sound appearing to come from one point with only modest separation (as with my factory install), I get a much wider feeling to the sound, with greater separation. This may be because the components used were aimed differently by the installer, but I believe that the speakers themselves improved this as well.

Originally, I planned on two way coaxials, but that went out the window when I found that I already had factory space / drilling for component. I decided (as a first step) to get the DSD213 component set in the doors and a DKC169 coaxial set in the rear deck. Are components "better" than coaxial?

I never tried the subs in the MB Quart. This was actually from my first week. The installer recommended the Kicker Solo-Baric 12" L7. They did not have (that I saw on the floor) the 10" on hand, so I did not test one. The 12" gives a really nice sound, and I am very happy with it. It seems fairly tight to me, and has a lot of punch. It doesn't seem muddy or anything - it feels very precise. When playing with it in the shop, I tested it with a Phish track - "Down With Disease". It has a nice bass into, with crisp individual notes and quick stops that I thought would be good for testing it out. The sub handled it very cleanly without blurring anything. I am very happy with it.

OK, I have to ask. What is SPL? And you did spell it correctly!!!

Paul G.
Q# 15189
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)