Dump the privacy detector. Don't need it anymore.

I work in the industry (okay. NOW everyone hates me..) not doing the actual calls, my company MAKES the dialers that dial on 300+ lines for gawd knows how many folks.

The DNC thing works, if you haven't signed up, do so. Some things to watch out for, however:

1. You'll still get calls from people you did business with up to 18 months afterward.
2. Be wary of filling out any Sweepstakes, or any giveaway. They are now putting clauses in there saying that by entering, you forfeit your DNC status, and will be called by them (or whomever is calling for them and any subsidaries.)
3. If you get called, make sure the company's calling you is in the US before being a jerk and threatening them. While many centers are in the US here, many companies have centers in Canada doing the calling. They're exempt. As is anyone from outside the US. (What's sad, that noone ever thought of, is people losing their jobs because companies are moving their said 500+ centers TO Canada and Mexico.)
4. Non Profits are exempt as well..
5. If you do get called, from a company in the US, don't go off on them. The person calling you has NO FRIGGIN' CLUE. Just ask to speak to the manager, and THEN go off on them.

As for the caller ID, it's stil in the works, since different LEC (Local Exchange Carriers, i.e. Bellsouth) never really set a standard for transmitting Caller ID info. So as of last Thursday, everything went to hell. (For example, found out that PacBell's system was locking up Bellsouth's system when all the CallerID stuff started going thru, because of a mismatched bit in the protocol.)

Ah, fun stuff. Reminds me of work.

Hey, wait.
Me.