In reply to:

Since emptool and JEmplode don't seem to exhibit this behaviour

I stand corrected.

Uploading more mp3s using emptool reveals that for some albums the 'tag' data is simply missing. But, I have discovered a common thread.

Since I had a lot of albums to encode I employed LameBrain on my Mac G4 and CDex on my Wintel to run in parallel and speed things up. The former program is based on the latter and I set both to use LAME -alt preset standard. I now find that the mp3s created by CDex give trouble whereas the LameBrain encoded ones are perfect.

Unfortunately I made some changes part way through and added the -V2 tags only option to LAME - those already encoded I stripped off the v2 tags with MP3 Rage and changed any v2.4 tags back to v2.3 using iTunes. So it's kinda tricky establishing what was done to what tags on which mp3s, but the common factor seems to be those encoded by CDex cause the trouble.

Can anyone suggest what is going on here and how I might be able to 'fix' those mp3s with the problem? Currently everything I have tried shows the tags exactly as I want them, so the problem is obviously a bit deeper. Is there an mp3 tag fixing program?