Important stuff is available instantly from the buttons (mute/pause, volume, track skip, power down) because that's stuff you'll often need to access whilst driving.

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me, this would be 'important stuff'

Is the bottom (menu) button the only one which doesn't yet have two functions? (ie. press / press & hold) Could a 'long press' on the bottom button toggle between visuals/info mode? Then if I set the info mode to Now & Next, say, I can instantly go from that to a visual and back again?

I don't watch the visuals while moving (I have plenty of time in traffic jams/at traffic lights!), but sometimes the remote can slip down the side of the seat (or fall into the passenger footwell), and switching to visuals wouldn't necessarily be the first thing I want to do when I get in the car. Some mornings (well, most mornings actually) the first priority is to get moving as soon as possible so I'm not any later for work than I need to be!

As I said before, I can imagine the legal minefields that are going to appear with all this stuff (imagine the RIAA getting their hands on a case where 'MP3 causes multiple pile-up on freeway'!!) but there must be some sort of compromise here. As it stands, it takes at least 2 presses of the remote button to get back to visuals mode. (I know, it's soooo hard to press it twice ) But this seems to be quite important to several of us here...

Geoff
---- -------
Reg No. 554, s/n 00064 - It's mine I tell you.... all mine :)
Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB