Sometimes when you see a unique piece, you just need to suck it up and pay the money if and only if you truly love it. I was at an artist's garage sale and he had a beautiful oil painting that was originally commissioned by the (New York) Village Voice as cover art. It had some ugly movie projector-like machines rampaging through New York like Godzilla or King Kong, shooting film reels out of their arms that, as if they were UFOs, were zapping things on the ground. It cost me $1000 and I don't regret it for a second. (Sorry, I don't remember the artist's name off the top of my head, and the piece is at home while I'm at work.)

Whenever you're buying art for "normal" prices, which is to say, for something well under your monthly salary, you shouldn't be thinking about its resale value. You should be thinking "that's something I want to hang on my wall". The same goes for jewelry, clothes, furniture, and just about anything else except maybe consumer electronics. Now, if you're buying something more rare and expensive (say, you found some pre-production artist concept sketches from the original Star Wars), then you're going to want to think of your purchase as an asset rather than just a pretty wall decoration, especially if you need to borrow the money to pay for it!

So... if you really dig Johnny Bravo and Scooby Doo and you really like that specific image... and you really want to see it hanging on your wall now and five years from now, then pay the money and enjoy the artwork!