Quite some time ago, Rob S. started a thread that got us talking about possible problems with the Mk1's docking connector.

At that time, I seemed to think the problem was related to internal wiring. At first I thought it was dirty contacts on the docking connector, then I thought it was internal wiring, then finally I settled on it being a cable problem where the second IDE cable was pressing against some components.

Well, now I'm back to the docking connector since the problem has returned, and this time I don't have a second IDE drive/cable to blame it on any more.

Also, another Mk1 owner (new to the BBS) just contacted me on ICQ describing the identical problem.

The problem is as follows:

Increasing amounts of noise in the outputs (such as alternator whine like you'd get with a bad ground) that go away when you grab the Empeg by the handle and wiggle the unit in its sleeve. This wiggling is accompanied by crackling noises in the outputs.

Every time I try to diagnose it, by disassembling the player and messing around with the connector, the problem goes away. As a matter of course, part of this disassembly procedure involves cleaning the contacts and the unit's casing with alcohol, so maybe it's the cleaning that's solving the problem.

Only... if I just clean the docking connector pins with a Q-tip, it doesn't solve the problem.

The last time I had the problem, I put tiny washers on the Empeg's docking connector screws so that the connector would protrude a tiny bit farther. This made the problem go away for a while, but now it's slowly coming back.

So it really sounds like an issue with the connector pins getting dirty or scratched or worn or bent or something.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences with their Mk1s?