it seems to go through my test file at about 1 minute of song time per 1 second of FF time.

That's about two and a half times the speed I'm getting on a very large (112 minute) file encoded CBR at 192 KBPS. (10 minutes advance in 25.7 seconds, on average)

I'd like to see the advance rate change after each two seconds of button-hold, with the speed increasing geometrically (or is this exponentially?) starting at 2x, then cycling through 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x, 64x, and topping out at 128x. (Currently it seems to top out at (on my unit, at least) about 24x.) This would place you 4:12 into a song after holding the button for 12 seconds, at which point it would then continue advancing steadily at better than two minutes per second.

Another thing that should be checked (I don't have enough CBR encoded files to find this out for myself!) is whether the trick of going to the beginning of, say, song #5 in your playlist and then holding REW will back you out of #5 and into the end of #4 where you could continue to REW. That way, if what you want to hear is near the end of a song, instead of FF through the whole song to get there, you go to the next song and then REW into the end of the previous one.

By the way... with my 112 minute song, do I have the record for the longest MP3 in an empeg?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"