Incase you're wondering about the current status, here's an update.

I spent last week talking with medium to large injection molding companies. They suggested to make the buttons out of polycarbonate (Lexan) or acrylic. I am asking for quotes using polycarbonate, though, because arcylic is apparently more fragile. Anyone know of problems with using these materials?

For color matching, the possibilities look pretty hopeful. I'll be sending the molders some pieces of the five lense plastics and they'll see what they have access to. Though I didn't know previously, the colors are mixed during the injection process; not before. So, if the tint is wrong, they can just change it. And one molder has offered to produce samples of the final buttons and overnight them to me, leaving his machine idle (profit-less) until I get back to him within 24 hours.

And for the "tool" which will mold the buttons, I'm getting quotes for steel, aluminum, and more temporary materials such as "prehardened P20". Aluminum and steel molds will be out of the budget (confirmed when I see the quote) but the "temoprary tools" may get the job done.

For this coming week, I'll contact a pile of Reaction Injection Molding companies and Resin Transfer Molding companies. Hopefully, that will yeild different prices than the hand casters and injection molding shops. Eventually, a cost-effective solution will be found. Now, back to work I go.