It took a while, but I finally got the first Rio Receiver. I'm quite impressed by the unit. It looks good, sounds good, and impresses a lot of the brothers here.

I set it up in the common area of my fraternity house. We currently have 20 people living here, each with their own computer and each sharing their music over the network. The server, running on a dedicated win2k machine, makes everyone's music available on the Rio Receiver downstairs. We currently only have 6000+ songs, but once I turn on sharing for the last few people, we should have a list of 10000+. Of course, now we need to get people to actually fix the ID tags for their music.

I haven't been able to figure out a few things yet though. The first thing is a showstopper (the other two are just things that would be nice to have).
1.I want to be able to make a macro to update the list of music being served. I have about 20 computers currently on the network with music, but people turn them on and off so it displays different ones each time. Thus, I can't figure out a way to automate this.... Our old Rube Goldberg music system (using MusicMatch Jukebox as the interface) let me "Search all hard drives." Is there any feature like that to search mapped hard drives / whoever is connected to the network?
2. Is it possible to append/insert/replace songs to those in the current playlist as in the Empeg? i.e. create playlists on the fly?
3. Is there any way to use more than one criteria to pare down a list of songs? There's a lot of crap music in the house. Some Simpson's sound clips for example, are listed under Rock music. I can't add all Rock music without getting Bart yelling stuff. Something akin to Wendy Filters would be perfect.

I also noticed a bug. If you try to connect to a computer on the network that is OFF, the server software stops responding.

Anyway, great work guys. This is a cool gadget.

-Biscuits