> It's cool to see all these projects coming together so
> nicely and working together (MAD, FLAC, RRR, Rioplay,
> JRec, and hopefully OGG at some point).

Agreed. I'm sure there'll be a decent integer-based decoder for OGG at some point that you can bundle. Until then, we can transcode at the server.

BTW, note that with native FLAC support we no longer have to transcode into a lossy format. All transcodes will ideally use flac as the target (as in ogg->flac, aac->flac, etc.) so there is no further deterioration of quality.

>The Rio is an awesome little piece of hardware.

I had my doubts for a long time which drove me to generalize much of jrec's functionality to support devices beyond the Rio. The display was tiny. The menuing was pathetic. Installation was a hassle. All of this to support mp3 on a product going out of production.

It's fortunate that so many (Mock, FVG, etc.) figured out how to hack the client which ultimately led to you and Reza supplanting it.

As to the future of the Rio, I'm optmistic now. Once comprehensive FLAC support is in place, each user should assist in beating the drum, promoting this new development in console players whereever they can. Hopefully it'll put sufficient pressure on SonicBlue to get the Rios back in production, perhaps even with an improved display.

--Reed http://jreceiver.sourceforge.net