I've had my rio receivers for about 9 months. I've only setup one place to hook them up. First one worked great for about 4-5 months and then stopped powering up correctly. It would come up with a 169.x.x.x address (my dhcp server is supposed to hand out stuff in the 192.168.1.100+ range).

So I swapped over to the other unit and it worked fine for another 4-5 months. Now it is doing the same thing!

So I loaded ethereal on my PC and watched what was happening. They are both doing the same thing. They make a DHCP request, then almost immediately after arp out a who-has the 169.x.x.x address (I guess checking their backup IP?), my dhcp server comes back with a perfectly acceptable response but the rio ignores it. It goes through this cycle a few times and then the rio decides on the 169.x.x.x address.

It then makes a upnp request to my server and my server responds with a proper looking url back to my server on port 21076 to /descriptor.xml. But it just seems to ignore this request and ask the same thing, over and over again.

It's almost like these rios can talk but they can't listen on the ethernet ports. But two failing the same way? It just seems unlikely.

What gives? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Al Youngwerth

P.S. I can post a captured trace if that'd help