Actually, it's a replacement server for the Rio and Dell Audio Receivers. I'm trying to come up with a convoluted acronym that spells "Arrrr", purely so that I can use a picture of a pirate for the icon .

Better suggestions for the name on a postcard please.

As some of you know, late last year I promised to start working on a Rio Receiver server replacement. I was planning to use it as a way to learn C#, so it was going to be written entirely in C#, using the .NET framework.

More information about the goals of this project is on my website.

Anyway, I stopped work on it around November last year, because I found a more profitable way to occupy my time (namely a job).

I've still been playing with bits of C#, writing ID3 tag parsers, simple HTTP servers and so on. If you're interested, the C# pages on my website start here.

Last week, I started pulling all the different snippets of code together.

This weekend, you'll be pleased to hear, I reached the first milestone in the project plan.

Version 0.0.2 successfully implements the service discovery, portmapper, mount daemon and NFS daemon portions of the server software to the extent that I managed to get an original Rio-branded Receiver to boot from my software, using the original Receiver firmware distribution.

Source code for version 0.0.3 of my software is here, which I was playing with before work this morning.

I'm pleased with it, so I thought I'd share.

At my current rate of progress, I anticipate that I'll be able to get out an alpha release, including installer and stuff in a couple of weeks time. Is anyone interested in helping me test it?