Quote:
Curiosity: Why does nobody here seem to like McAfee Enterprise 7.x?

Personally, that's what I would recommend. Like you, I have nothing to complain about it. It's good and does not come with the ugly and confusing "user friendly" interface of the Professional version. You may want to try the 8.0 Enterprise version, which seems good to me, even though I only tested for a week.

Also, I would disable the On-Access scan from McAfee and instead rely on more responsible periodic manual scan iniciated by the user, since the user in this case is a geek like everybody here and knows what he is doing. Having the AV scan every single file you access (or the system accesses) is what really slow down any machine. No matter how powerful it is, with the On-Access Scan OFF it will be faster.
I would as well disable any email component/outlook plugin in it. Thet do slow down everything when you have outlook running. Again, if you know what you're doing, you
1) Update outlook constantly to fix bugs
2) Scan attachments you're not sure about, or don't run them at all
I found this true with any other email client McAfee makes plug ins for.

One good thing I found in MCAfee Enterprise is that its scheduler is reliable and does not take CPU at all, as it should be. I have a daily check for updates and a weekly global scan on my server and it very simply... works, always; and I don't even notice it's there when it is not scanning. Which is all that an AV should do, I believe.

Firewall: I gave up using any integrated package, since they all seemed slow and not well configurable to me. I still use Kerio Personal Firewall, 2.1.5, free. Newer vrsions are shareware and I don't know how good they are. 2.1.5 works perfectly to me and it's free.

I had the worst experience with Norton, which did slow down terribly any machine I tried it on, regardless of how I configure it. I haven't tried their latest release, though.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg