Quote:
The Chiba and Cali have vertical menus... And I think the UI on those players is umm... With all due respect, terrible. I couldn't even believe the Chiba had ever been touched by any of the empeg guys. But I suppose my biggest problem with it was the very inconsistent application of back/forward (cancel/confirm) using both buttons and the little joystick.

Well that would be my responsibility. Having decided that almost every other flash player UI was appalling I tried to get something approximately equivalent to the UI in our HDD players. I'd be interested to see your list of dislikes.

The fwd/back issue is a tricky one. The only inconsistent bit is that left/right navigate fwd/back in menus, but change field values in dialogs. This is to avoid the need for either a one control limit in dialogs (a la iPod), or tristate controls (a la Riot) that must be selected before the value can be changed (which we implemented and which I personally hate).

Personally I don't find it confusing, but maybe I'm too close.. I believe our UI usually gets credit as a differentiating feature - have you used many other flash players?

Menu:

Up/Down - Scroll through menu options
Left - Back
Right/Press - Select
Menu - Cancel back to player

Dialog:

Up/Down - Scroll through dialog options
Left/Right - Change value of current option
Press - Save
Menu - Cancel back to menu

List:

Up/Down - Scroll through list entries