Quote:
If I'm using a PNA, i didn't realize it...The rio was running straight from the desktop through the phone line.

This strongly suggests that you were using PNA -- which uses your normal phone wires to connect devices (to avoid having to run new cables).

How have you got the Rio connected now?

The reason I ask is that I suspect that you're having a problem that has plagued a lot of other people: the Rio Receiver supports both PNA and Ethernet networking. However, with certain routers, it fails to detect an Ethernet connection, and tries to use PNA instead. This fails.

I don't recall whether the WRT54G is one of the routers that causes this problem in the Receiver, but it might be.

If you look at the back of the Receiver, you'll see two lights: a yellow one labelled "activity" and a green one labelled "link".

If you're using an Ethernet connection, the Link light should blink quickly, and then come on. If you're suffering from the problem I mentioned, then this won't happen.

The interim solution is to try power-cycling the Receiver multiple times, until you can get the Link light to come on properly. You can power-cycle the Receiver by repeatedly pressing the power button on the front.

If you can get the link light to come on sometimes, but not other times (usually it seems to be about 1 time in 4 that it'll work), then you're suffering from this problem. What you need to do then is to plug a cheap 10Mbps hub in between the router and the Receiver. This'll fix it permanently.