How do you install a sound event into Windows for a given application?

There are two sets of registry keys you need to populate under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents. A little poking around in Regedit will reveal the setup.

"EventLabels" is the raw list of all the names of all the individual events. Schemes\Apps contains those event labels grouped under the application names. Remember to set the "default" strings to the names you want to display in the control panel- the registry key names are the aliases. All the aliases on my system are one word with no spaces, I dunno if that's required, but that's the way I do it, then I put the spaces in the display names.

Beneath the Apps/MyApp/MyAlias key are the keys holding the actual sounds settings, with ".current" and ".default" keys for each (some don't have a ".default" meaning that the default is no sound at all).

Note that there is an app named ".default", that's the Windows sounds. Beneath that is also an alias named ".default", that's the windows default "ding" sound.

Okay, I'm off to try what Roger just showed me and see if I can make it work for my app. Wish me luck.