Quote:
Why does it always do the weird menu pop-up flippy things on start-up?

It's switching the player info mode to "off" and selecting the visual assigned to the first display mode.

Quote:
Does it always default to Cool track?

It always defaults to the first mode in the XML. In the default XML, that's the Cool Track mode. If you'd like to default to another mode, put that mode as the first display_mode entry in the XML file.

Quote:
How can I stop the title from going away in this code? I tried transient="false" but that didn't work, sorry if I'm being stupid.

Er, that one's a bug. I'm checking for any value of the transient attribute when I should be looking for only "true." To fix it for now, just remove the "transient" attribute entirely. Then the problem is it's not going to scroll for you, so change it from a "line" field to a "hscroll" (horizontal scroll) field, like this:
Code:

<hscroll attr="$(artist): $(title) $(source:format=\($\))" font="gimungous"
color="bright" bgcolor="transparent" x="1" y="1" width="128" speed="10"
pause="5" origin="top"/>

That one will be fixed in the next release, but the workaround above should do what you want.

Quote:
Oh one last thing when I use Hyper term in Win XP pro. Q to the shell, set the drive to RW, paste in my new xml, RO the drive and exit ............

What you didn't tell me is whether you're quitting emphatic first. If you're not, then it is indeed a case of "doc, it hurts..." The best way to work with the XML is probably to edit it on your PC and FTP it over to the empeg, but only after quitting emphatic first. To launch emphatic again, you may wish to use the MENUEXEC command that was added in Hijack recently. Here's what I have in my config.ini:
Code:

;@EXEC_ONCE /usr/local/bin/emphatic
;@MENUEXEC +emphatic exec /usr/local/bin/emphatic

The EXEC_ONCE launches it on startup, the MENUEXEC is there to launch if I decide to quit, but don't feel like restarting my empeg.