I would still be using my custom built embedded PC running RH6.2. Almost identical to Hugo's original in design - I even used the same xaudio software he used.

It lived in the trunk, had a 2x40 LCD in a custom mount in the dash and ran through my Alpine headunit. The embedded PC board (586 P75+ I think) didn't have sound, so I cobbled up a PC104 to ISA interface and used an SB16.

However my homebrew 12-5V PSU could only just keep up with the current requirements of the PC board (something like 30W) and my 12-12V DC converter (so I could use a 3.5" HD) had some issues too.

Software was pretty good (all custom apart from the xaudio MP3 decoder), but I couldn't search like the empeg. I was able to easily select artists and albums though.

Still it worked great for about 3 years before I could afford an empeg in the firesale. Even the original 6.4G Quantum fireball lives on today in my firewall/mail/web server machine. It was later upgraded to a 30G Samsung in the car which later died after my player was decomissioned. The 3.5" drives did have some shock mounting though.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)