Quote:
I had to replace the hdd cable on one of my empegs. I've got a 44 pin cable, but the blank where a pinhole (on the motherboard's end) doesn't fit, so I don't wish to drill into it if I don't have to.

You need to read the FAQ entry more carefully. From your description, you're clearly just using a cable rummaged from an old PC, perhaps an 80-conductor cable, even. You're missing the part of the FAQ that says:

Quote:
You can't use just any cable; if the length isn't correct, the shock-mount tray might not be free to move properly. The only ways to get a proper replacement are to crimp one yourself, order one from support, or order one from Eutronix.

So, um, there it is.

And anyway, why are you needing to replace the cable? There's pictures of how to fix the loose crimps there.

Quote:
Also: I'm having the same hdd not detected issue. If the soldering is necessary, is it difficult or self-evident?

Again, you're not reading through that FAQ entry carefully. There are very clear photos of the soldering problem, as well as a warning that the soldering is difficult and should only be done by people who have experience doing that kind of thing.