once I did a sync, and turned the unit off, and ran to my car and dropped it in, and after a sync, it leaves you without a playlist, the display wouldn't come back, not matter what buttons I pressed

I do that regularly: Bring the unit out to my car immediately after a synch. Sometimes I do it several times a night. I do it when I'm checking the mix of a song I've just recorded and mixed down: After I get it to where I think it's "right" on my studio monitors, I encode it and stick it on the Empeg to listen to it on other stereo equipment. My car is the first thing I try since it's got the best low-frequency response thanks to the subwoofer.

In all the times I've done this, I've never had the problem you describe, it always just comes up with the "end of playlist" message and lets me select another playlist.

Then again, I have a Mark1 which doesn't have the ignition-sense wire and the code to go with it. Perhaps there's a bug related to the ignition-sense code and the end of a playlist. Can anyone else reproduce Smoker Man's problem?