OK so last night on my way home the disk in my mkIIa decided it was going to be 'problematic'. At first I got the dreaded "No disk found Contact support." No worries, I've seen this before just remove and re-insert the player. Got the boot image good, waiting, waiting, waiting. The player was frozen.

I repeated this 3 or 4 times. Suddenly the tell tale clicking of a drive arm that was having difficulties leaving the landing zone was clearly audible .

Through some persistence and a few more inserts the drive eventually came back for the ride home. I haven't tried to power it on yet today (saved by the spare player .)

I think it fairly obvious that I need a new drive. I was looking at this drive as quick replacement. Anyone have any issues with this one?

Been through the Drive Upgrade Guide a few times and I'm pretty comfortable with what's involved. Now given the volatility of the original drive I don't think I'll chance trying to copy the data off of it as I backup my player via rsync everytime I make major changes.

Now if I put the config.ini and the rsync binary back I assume that I can just rsync the fids back down after the disk is prepared and the software installed - right? Then just sync via emplode and I'm ready to rock?